Binghamton and Stony Brook Fight to the Last Minute

This past Saturday, the Devils traveled to Long Island to play their conference rival Stony Brook. Last fall, the Devils and Seawolves had a fantastic match that went down to the wire. This weekend’s match was one for the books as well. The first half belonged to Binghamton as fly half Brandon Healy opened up the scoring with a 30-meter penalty kick. Binghamton went up 3-0. After the ensuing kickoff, the Devils continued turing it up with a quick 5-meter try by flanker Billy Cusack. The Devils took a two score lead, 8-0. Binghamton was not finished scoring in the first half; 8 man Brian Burke picked a 5-meter scrum and touched down a try around the 30-minute mark. After Healy’s successful conversion, the Devils closed out the remainder of the half with a 15-0 lead.

Binghamton kicked off to Stony Brook to open up the second half, and the Seawolves quickly responded to the Devils’ solid first half. The Seawolves punched in a try and successfully converted. Binghamton still led 15-7 at this point. Though the Devils battled back, they conceded another try and successful conversion around the 65-minute mark. The Devils’ lead was cut to one, but they still led 15-14. Both teams then battled for another 20 or so minutes in scorching heat and extremely high humidity. The Seawolves held the ball in Devil territory for most of the remaining minutes. However, the Devils’ defense held strong until they committed a penalty on their 5-meter line in front of the goalposts. The Seawolves split the uprights on a penalty kick. Stony Brook took their first lead of the game in the 78th minute, 17-15. Although there were only 2 minutes left, the Devils did not give up: Billy Cusack fielded Healy’s kickoff and gained 20 meters through a series of crisp off-loads. Unfortunately, the game ended as Binghamton committed a penalty on Stony Brook’s 5-meter line. The Seawolves escaped with the victory, 17-15.

The b-side match was another close contest, as Joe Iopinto opened the scoring for Binghamton with a try off of a string of offloads started by Ray Henry. The conversion was unsuccessful, and the score remained 5-0 until the Seawolves put up a try of their own late in the second half. After another unsuccessful conversion, the score was tied 5-5 with only minutes to play. The match seemed to be nearing a draw when James Cioffi broke through Stony Brook’s defense for a late go-ahead try. The Devils’ b-side came away with a 10-5 victory.

After the game, Matt Richards, the Devils’ captain and Outside Center had great things to say about his team: “To know we had their backs against the wall and to not come away with a win is very disappointing, but, I couldn’t be more proud of the way our team fought for 80 minutes. There is a lot of good to take away from this game and carry forward the rest of the season.”

The Devils will be traveling to the University of Buffalo on their bye week this Saturday for a scrimmage. The following weekend, Binghamton will host Colgate in the home opener.